Indiblogger

Tuesday, 30 May 2017

An Extract From Voltaire's `Candide' That Explains The Faith Of Die Hard Fans In Their Idol.

Voltaire is the best advocate for democracy, and separation of church from state. As a satirical polemicist, he frequently made use of his works to criticize intolerance, religious dogma, and the French institutions of his day. One of his best works is `Candide’. I don’t know in what context he wrote this paragraph, but this one perfectly describes the irrational belief a few die hard supporters have in their political leaders. They don’t even know, that their idol is making a hash of the job assigned to him but vehemently abuse those who question their leader’s actions.
Here is the extract  from `Candide’ by Voltaire.
`We’re going to another world’ said Candide ` It must be the one in which all is well, because I must admit that it is possible to complain about some of the things that go on in our world, from both a physical and a moral point of view (the highlighted portion in yellow in the present context of a few societies can be seen in the behavior of a few die hard fans criticizing those who were ruling previously)
`I love you with all my heart’ said Cunegonde `but my soul is still shocked by what I’ve seen and experienced’

`Everything will go well’, replied Candide `I’ve already noticed that the sea of this New World is better than our European seas; it’s calmer, and the winds are steadier. I’m sure it’s the New World that’s the best of all possible words’ (The die-hard fans see, even the minutest of change in working of any organisation as a big achievement of their leader, and often TRUMPet it all over the social media).
                It’s happening in so many societies of the world today.

                

2 comments:

  1. I am in complete agreement with you. That's what we are witnessing in India today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No comments from me on the second sentence

      Delete

Brickbats or Boquets I accept them all, vent it out here!

About Me

My photo
Banglaore, Karnataka, India