Thursday 11 September 2014

THE TEN BOOKS THAT INFLUENCED ME THE MOST

Putting out a list of one’s 10 best read books has become a rage on the Facebook. I decided to list it out in a blog why I like them the most?  The list I have made is in the importance of how each of these books changed my way of thinking. Some of these books have been reviewed by me in my blog and hence the hyperlink has been provided. A book I read becomes my favourite when a few concepts, paragraphs, dialogues, etc. stay in my mind much after I have forgotten most of what I read in it.

1.           Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want  by Mark Joyner      


2.      Getting Unstuck by Timothy Butler
3.      Museum of Hoaxes by Alexe Boese
If you think critically or want to develop critical thinking, this book is a must read. It lists many hoaxes played on humanity from time immemorial. It should serve as a warning to the gullible masses but alas even the most literate fall prey to glib talkers.

4.      The Small Bachelor by PG Wodehouse
Who would not like P G Wodehouse and as per the master himself this was one of those books which came out easily. If you want a good laugh read this book, you won’t be disappointed. A domineering wife Mrs Waddington; a hen pecked husband H Sigsbee; George Finch; the know all Hamilton Bleamish; the butler & his girlfriend. There is not one page of the book which does not contain a laugh out loud moment. Officer Garroway is the star attraction for me in this book.

5.      Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
Catch 22 is for me more a representative of what happens in our offices day to day. The politics, nepotism and favoritism of work places are liberally spread over this book as liberally as snow on the Himalayas during winter. Read this and you will be looking for a copy of this book.
There were three members of the Action Board, the bloated colonel with the big fat moustache, Lieutenant Schheisskopf  and Major  Metcalf, who was trying to develop a steely gaze. As a member of the action board, Lieutenant Schheisskopf was one of the judges who would weigh the merits of the case against Clevinger as presented by the prosecutor. Lieutenant Schheisskopf was also the prosecutor. Clevinger had an officer defending him. The officer defending him was Lieutenant Schheisskopf


6.      The Devil’s Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce
        Given that I love Satire and Sarcasm, this book had to be in my favorite’s list. Written decades ago, the sarcasm in this book is still relevant.

7.      Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh
This book is absolutely riveting and mocks the English society. Waugh, another chronicler of the English aristocracy, half a generation younger, shares a lot of turf with Wodehouse, but he worked in a more melancholy vein. Waugh observed the sunset of the English upper classes. For Wodehouse the sun was fixed eternally at noon. (I read this compliment on the web).

8.Top of Form   Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
Did someone tell you grammar is serious stuff? They said the same thing to me and I believed it till this book came into my life. My grammar has ever since started improving.
9.      Serious Men by Manu Joseph
Do you believe that a lot of serious work takes place in our R&D institutions? Do you believe that there is no cut-throat politics in such institutions? Do you believe Dalits are not discriminated in such institutions? If yes, put aside your bias and read this book written humorously with an open mind written by Manu Joseph who is in the know of things, your opinion will change

10.    The White Tiger by Arvind Adiga
I should not be liking this book but somehow I have read it many a times. It is dark satire with not even a single character with a semblance of positivity. I read this book first in a phase of my life when used to feel that everything was wrong with this world, maybe, that’s why I like this book so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Brickbats or Boquets I accept them all, vent it out here!

Me, Books, and an Audible Milestone

 I can confidently boast that I am more receptive to technology than most 50 year olds. Right from learning how to use the Internet, to writ...